Everyone loves a good quote. The best ones are easy to remember, make us laugh, and look good when printed on a pillow or t-shirt. They can also start a conversation or make us think.
What about the best quotes on marriage? Marriage has been around for quite a while, so plenty of famous people have had some interesting things to say about it.
With that in mind, we’ve collected some of our favorite quotes on marriage and listed them below. We hope you enjoy—possible enough to get one of them printed on a mug that you give your spouse for your next anniversary gift.
Our Favorite Marriage Quotes
- “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” —Friedrich Nietzsche
- “My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me.” —Winston Churchill
- “Love may be blind, but marriage is a real eye-opener.” — Unknown
- “The longest sentence you can form with two words is: I do.” — H. L. Mencken
- “An archeologist is the best husband any woman can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her.” — Dame Agatha Christie
- “Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half-shut afterwards.” —Benjamin Franklin
- “At every party there are two kinds of people. . . those who want to go home and those who don’t. The trouble is, they are usually married to each other.” — Ann Landers
- “What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility.” — Leo Tolstoy
- “Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.” — Oscar Wilde
- “Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That’s relativity.” — Albert Einstein
- “If I get married, I want to be very married.” ―Audrey Hepburn
- “By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll become happy; if you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.” ― Socrates
- “A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.” ― Dave Meurer
- “Marriage is not a noun; it’s a verb. It isn’t something you get. It’s something you do. It’s the way you love your partner every day.” — Barbara De Angelis
- “To keep your marriage brimming, with love in the wedding cup, whenever you’re wrong, admit it; whenever you’re right, shut up.” ― Ogden Nash
What’s your favorite quote about marriage?
Robert Carnes is the editor on the MarriedPeople team. He’s worked in marketing and communications for a number of churches and nonprofits. Robert lives in Atlanta with his wife, Victoria.
Subscribe For Email Updates
Did you like this blog post? Want to get our latest monthly blogs delivered directly to your email inbox?
Sign up and we will add you to our email list! And we won't send you and spam—we promise.